Apply for an Internship
Thank you for your interest in Madonna School as your prospective internship experience. This page includes important information about Madonna to assist you in making an informed choice for your internship. Please read the information below carefully, then click Get Started to submit an application online. If you prefer, you may download this application in PDF form, print it, and submit it via mail.
Madonna School is a private Catholic School serving students age 5 – 21 of all faiths and backgrounds with developmental delays. Students have varying levels of abilities, primarily, moderate to high levels of functioning within the scope of developmental delays, including, but not limited to, students with Down Syndrome, autism, and Asperger’s Syndrome. Students 18 and older are enrolled in a transition program, separate from the school age program, which teaches life skills and job skills with a goal of helping each student gain employment by the time they exit the program. Approximately half of our students and staff belong to the Catholic Church.
An intern at Madonna School should expect to observe, participate in and lead music therapy sessions with individuals, small groups of 4 -5, and larger classroom groups of up to 10. Music therapists will work with all ages including students in the transition program. Work hours are from 8 – 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. The internship begins the day after Labor Day and ends the last day of school in May. There is a $2500 stipend offered.
The intern will have the opportunity to begin work with a client or small group new to the music therapy program and should expect to collaborate with other therapists and teachers as needed. Attendance at some IEP meetings will be expected. Since Madonna is an educational setting, all goals and objectives for students focus on academic, motor skills, communication, and social skills necessary for students to benefit from and succeed in their education and to be successful, productive members of the community upon leaving the educational setting.
Interns will have access to a wide variety of musical instruments and resource books for planning and carrying out music interventions. Interns are expected to take data and document progress of clients. In initial observations of music therapy sessions, interns may be asked to assist in data collection. Madonna School has a tone chime choir. Interns will arrange at least one piece for the chimes to play.
Interns will be expected to observe at least one other music therapist working in the public school, geriatric, private, or medical setting. (8 hours) Omaha and Lincoln are fortunate to have music therapists working in these settings.
Students at Madonna School participate in two programs per year, one at Christmas and one in early May. Interns will be expected to participate in preparing the programs and preparing clients, who, as appropriate, are able to share the skills they have gained in music therapy.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Be able to accompany clients during music therapy interventions using
- Functional piano: melody and chords in a steady tempo as appropriate for the selection; able to improvise in C, D, F, G using 12 bar blues; slow and up-beat, I, IV, V rock and roll style; accompany a simple 4 part hymn.
- Guitar skills: I, IV, V chords, with ability to transpose to C, D, E, G, A
- Be able to sing basic selections of traditional, sacred, folk, children’s and popular songs from a variety of eras
- Have the ability to compose and develop original melodies and lyrics with simple accompaniment using guitar or piano
- Have the ability to interact with students and staff on a professional level
- Have the ability to objectively document events that occur during sessions with correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Be Familiar with the AMTA Code of Ethics and Standards of Clinical Practice
- Experience with children and teens in pre-clinical work is helpful.
- An entry-level course in American Sign Language is beneficial. We have several students whose main mode of communication is through sign language.
- Prospective interns should interview in person if possible. If not possible, phone interviews with the MT Internship director and the principal can be arranged and a video/DVD showing guitar and piano proficiency must be provided. (No client content please.) Please include one prepared 4 part selection on piano, and a blues or rock and roll improvisation, or other style of your choice. Sing two, 3 chord folk songs or children’s songs of your choice accompanied by yourself on guitar. Be able to transpose one of these songs.
- A “safe schools” course is provided in town through the Catholic schools and is required before student contact.
- CPR and Red Cross first aid course required. Courses offered in mid August at Madonna, otherwise, intern must take these courses on his/ her own and bring proof of certification. No legal affiliation agreement is required to intern at Madonna School.
Music Therapy staff: Mary Lynn Bennett, MT-BC
Speech-Language Pathologist (3 1/2 days a week)
Classroom teachers (5)
Teacher associates (one in each classroom)
Art and Physical education teachers
Occupational Therapist – contracted in the building as needed for service
Physical Therapist –contracted in the building as needed for service Nurse – in the building once every couple of weeks
Transition team staff : program directors/teachers (2); job coaches (4)
- In-services may be offered during the course of the school year related to special education services, autism spectrum disorder etc.
- The Nebraska and Iowa chapters of Kodaly and Orff organizations also have offerings several times each year.
- Plan on attending the National or Regional Music Therapy Conference during your internship.
- You must procure your own housing and professional liability insurance.
Philosophy of the Madonna School Music Therapy Program:
A Message from Mary Lynn Bennett, Internship Director
It is Madonna’s philosophy that every child has the potential to learn, succeed and become a contributing member of society. Every student at Madonna has a unique set of challenges and strengths and music therapy interventions are planned with each students’ IEP goals in mind. Madonna School’s primary goals for the students, upon finishing our transition program, are that they will leave with a job and they will be connected socially.
Music therapy is an integral part of the educational program at Madonna School, designed to prepare students with developmental delays to benefit from academic instruction and become productive members of the community. My theoretical approach is eclectic, sometimes using a behaviorist approach, but depending on the student and the need, other times the approach is based more in cognitivism, constructivism or humanism.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I look forward to hearing from you soon. The deadline for applications is the last Monday of February.
By submitting this online application, I certify that the answers given by me to the following questions are true and correct without consequential omissions of any kind. I agree that the school shall not be held liable in any respect if my internship is terminated because of false statements, answers or omissions made by me in this application. I understand that any misleading or incorrect statements may render this application void, and if internship is accepted, may be cause for termination. I also authorize the schools or persons named below to give any information requested regarding my eligibility, character, and qualifications.
I hereby release said schools or persons from all liability for any damage for issuing this information. In consideration of my internship, I agree to conform to the rules and regulations of this organization. My internship can be terminated with cause, and with notice, at anytime, at the option of my internship director, academic advisor, or myself.
Click Get Started below to apply for Madonna School's Music Therapy Internship. Please plan to spend several minutes completing this application, as your progress cannot be saved until it is submitted to Madonna School for review.
If you would prefer to print this application and submit it via mail, click Download PDF.