August 28th, 2015
First, we were going to have a uniform sale on August 25th, but it appears that date doesn’t give us all enough time to clear out old clothing to donate and set up the sale SOOOOO we are going to move the date to Tuesday, September 22nd from 3:30-6:30 here at Madonna. If you have some gently worn school uniform clothing-pants, shirts, skirts, sweaters, sweatshirts- please label them as to their size after laundering and bring them in for the sale. These will be available to others at a nominal fee. Money raised will be used for miscellaneous activities and supplies through the school year. We have received some articles of clothing and appreciate the donations. We are still hoping to have more so we have a selection for shoppers.
Second, I talked with the Moby drivers again. I have more information for Moby riders and their parents. The driver suggests you schedule the pick up at 3:25 or 3:30 because:
- Drivers can arrive 15 minutes early but they wait only 10 minutes. If you schedule for 3:15, they can arrive at 3:00 and only wait until 3:10. We do not dismiss until 3:15.
- Drivers can arrive 15 minutes after the scheduled time. If you schedule 3:30, they may arrive at 3:45, but we still have staff here to care for your children until 4:00.
From Jay Dunlap, Madonna School President
Many of you know Marcus Sikora, a recent Madonna graduate and a wonderful guy whose family remains great friends of our mission.
Marcus has written a book and will have a party celebrating its release here on August 30th. The party will include a showing of the animated short version of the book. Here are the details:
- Who: Madonna School Families, Faculty & Staff; the Down Syndrome Alliance of the Midlands
- What: Family Friendly Premier and Party for Black Day: The Monster Rock Band Animated Short. Story by Marcus Sikora and illustrated by Noah Witchell.
- Where: The Madonna School Gymnasium, 6402 North 71st Plaza, Omaha, NE 68104
- When: Sunday August 30th, 1:00 – 2:30 PM
- Why: Your chance to purchase the book, preorder the DVD, get autographs and meet the artists who brought this together, including Madonna School Alum Marcus Sikora.
Please RSVP to the Down Syndrome Alliance of the Midlands by calling 402-991-1800.
Two Requests for Parents
There are two requests I have for parents this school year. These new procedures are being made in order to help preserve teaching time, and to ensure safety for our students and staff:
- Parents, if your child has a doctor, or any type of appointment, please let us know ahead of time and we will have your child waiting for you in the office. If you come to the school and need to visit with your child, you will need to come to the office and we will bring your child to you there. If you are in the building to volunteer or for another previously scheduled reason, you will need to sign in and out, and obtain a visitor badge.
- If you are arriving to pick your child up in your vehicle, feel free to join the line along the front of the building. IF you will be exiting your vehicle, you will need to park it in a parking space so as not to hold up the line for pick up.
Your assistance with this is greatly appreciated.
Wednesdays and Fridays 3:15-4:00. Please make sure your child has his appropriate clothing, shoes and mouth guard.
September 20-21 at Mount St. Michael Invitational-Elkhorn More information on the state games to follow. They will be in Lincoln mid-October.
Coaches: Beth Books and Jason Sizemore
No School on Monday, August 31st
The staff will be at their retreat all day. Please pray for us.
We have not received the registration paperwork from some of our families. This includes the emergency information that will go with the students on the trips outside of the building, and it includes the swimming forms as your child will not be able to participate in the swim program if we don’t have these to give to the YMCA. Also, please remember that we cannot release the students to anyone who is NOT on your emergency release list. If there is a change in regular pick up plans, we must receive prior notice in writing or a phone call to the office. This is for your child’s safety.
As always, if you have any questions, concerns or information, please feel free to contact the office. The best ways to contact me are to leave a message with Donna, or to email me at
Thank you and God Bless!
Peg Carney, Principal
Download This Letter
Madonna School was founded in 1960 by Sr. Mary Evangeline, RSM. We educate students with cognitive and other developmental disabilities to become as independent as possible.
6402 N. 71 Plaza | Omaha, NE 68104 | (402) 556-1883 | madonnaschool.org